Change the Game
Last week, I made sure to watch the Jeopardy! Greatest of All Time tournament every night. Mostly, I was interested in seeing how James Holzhauer did against the other all-time great champions.
The thing that always fascinated me about James was that while he was champion, he was playing a completely different game from his opponents - he changed the entire game.
Most players - even champions - play a predictable, linear, vanilla strategy in which they select clues in lower dollar amounts first, sticking with one category for at least a few clues.
Not James, though. He used a completely different, hyper-aggressive strategy, including:
- Playing all the high-dollar value clues first
- Choosing from random categories to keep his opponents off-balance
- Ringing in first, even when he wasn't certain he would come up with the answer
- Betting high on Daily Double clues
Before they had any clue what happened, his opponents would be a mile behind, needing to completely dominate the rest of the game in order to possibly catch up.
Purists HATED him. And who could blame them? He took their time-honored strategy, turned it on its ear, and completely changed the game forever.
Want proof? Ken Jennings, owner of the longest winning streak in the game's history and probably its most famous player, acknowledged several times he had to make wagers to counteract Holzhauer's playing style. Brad Rutter, the highest-earning game show contestant in history, could barely get on the board in the 8 games they played.
Most people, even those who perform at a high level, look within the confines of "what's normally done" to improve.
People, that's just the price of entry for being a truly great performer.
Whether you want to outpace the competition, develop a completely new technology, create a work of art that's moving and unique, or grow a movement, you have to look where the rest of the world isn't, and play the game from there. The stakes are high - if you do, you just might alter the course of history. If not, it will just be more of the same old.
Change the game, change the world.
P.S. There's a project I've had in the works for a month now - a new podcast. It's called In This Moment, and the first episode will be dropping on August 17th. I'll be having off-the-cuff conversations with friends of mine who are unique, brilliant, wildly successful - and you'd never know it if you walked by them on the street. It'll be a look inside our minds and hearts, completely unrehearsed, and full of laughs. More details to come in the next few weeks.
And...Whenever you're ready, here are two more ways I can support you in creating more income or impact:
1. Work and live brilliantly, every day, forever. Tap into the combination of talent, passion, and innate brilliance that has you feeling fulfilled and energized. The Genius Effect is a 30-day coaching program that will guide you to discover, refine, and utilize your Zone of Genius so you can live and work in your brilliance every day. The next group begins September 2020 - 10 spots remaining.
2. Craft a powerful vision and bring it to life. The old proverb goes, "If you want to go fast, go alone; if you want to go far, go together." When you've got a great vision, you want a powerful partner to support you along the way. Currently, there are 2 slots available in my private advisory practice. Go here to learn more and to get started.
Great insights. Your inbox. No strings.